Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging files back & forth git repositories

Deleted user May 2, 2017

We currently have a BitBucket git repository with TeamA and RepoA.  I'd like to make a Team B and RepoB that is a clone of RepoA. The TeamB people are free to commit whatever they want to RepoB.  They don’t have access to RepoA. TeamA will continue working on RepoA. Completely separate worlds. 

At times, I’ll need to merge some changes from RepoB up to RepoA.

Additionally, I’ll be resetting RepoB to be an exact copy of RepoA again. Thereby bringing TeamB up to the latest TeamA work and the cycle will repeat.

I’ve been a git user for several years but am not sure how to accomplish this. What is the best way? 

Is there a way for RepoB to know it’s a clone of RepoA and still be in BitBucket?

1 answer

0 votes
Julius Davies _bit-booster_com_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2017

My answer assumes you're using Bitbucket Server (as opposed to Bitbucket Cloud).

Try the fork button (directly in the Bitbucket Web UI)!   Make sure the "[x] Enable fork syncing" option is enabled for the fork.  This way all the original branches in the TeamB fork stay up-to-date with their TeamA counterparts.  

Once this is in place you can create pull-requests (also directly in the Bitbucket Web UI) to merge work from the TeamB repo back into the TeamA repo.   TeamA members can use the Pull-Request as a medium to review and iterate on the work before they click the "Merge" button.

I suspect something roughly equivalent to this is also available in Bitbucket Cloud (aka bitbucket.org).

p.s.  I'm the author of Bit-Booster for Bitbucket Server (a paid add-on).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events