Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mentioning myself in commit messages

Bluecewe August 23, 2018

I maintain a number of modules which have a name of the form `@my-username/module-name`. As a result, I often write out these names in commit messages. In turn, this leads Bitbucket to send me an email notification informing me that I have been mentioned. Is there a way to prevent myself from being mentioned?

The context of where I commit seems to be important. When I mention myself in a commit from the Bitbucket Web app, I don't receive an email notification. However, when I mention myself in a commit from Atom, I do receive an email notification. Therefore, this could be an Atom issue. However, I thought it prudent to check whether there was anything that could be done at Bitbucket first, before raising the issue with Atom. I am using an app password - this may or may not affect the way by which the author of a commit is resolved.

By the way, is there a way to explicitly mark a piece of text such that it should not be interpreted as a mention?

Any help would be appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bluecewe August 28, 2018

I found that my IDE was committing to Bitbucket using an alternative email address, different from my primary Bitbucket address. I added the alternative address as an alias to Bitbucket, which has stopped the mention notifications.

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2018

Hi Chris! 

You don't get notified about changes you made yourself in your own Bitbucket account, but you do when someone else's makes changes, like in this case, Atom.

If you want to remove the @mentions notifications completely, you can disable them in the Bitbucket Settings menu, but keep in mind that then you won't receive notifications when some other colleague mentions you:

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 16.06.30.png

We have a report regarding the @mentions still being triggered after escaping them, you can find it at Issues #15929.

Alternatively, I'd check if it would be possible to name modules differently in Atom.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Best regards,

Ana

Bluecewe August 28, 2018

Hey Ana, thanks for getting back to me.

I looked into who Bitbucket thought was making the commits. Despite having logged into Atom with my Bitbucket account using an app password, Atom was committing using one of my alternative email addresses, different from my primary Bitbucket email. I added the alternative address as an alias, which seems to have stopped the mention notifications. So, the issue is effectively resolved.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events