cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Masking variable value during input

Jeebu Aniyankunju
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 23, 2024

Hi there! 

I would like to know if it is possible within Bitbucket to ensure that the value that I am giving as an input to a pipeline variable can be masked, like how a password is being input.

If you take a look at the attached screenshot, I have a pipeline variable

release_secret

whose value I would like to mask when I am giving it as an input. It should not only be masked in the pipeline logs, but also when I am typing it in the input box. Is this possible?

Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 7.36.36 PM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2024

Hi @Jeebu Aniyankunju and welcome to the community!

I'm afraid that secured variables are not supported in custom pipelines at the moment, so the value won't be masked in the input box or in the logs. We have a feature request for what you are asking:

I suggest adding your vote to that feature request (by selecting the Vote for this issue link) as the number of votes helps the product managers better understand the demand for new features. You are more than welcome to leave feedback, and you can also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

Implementation of features is done as per our policy here and any updates will be posted in the feature request.

In the meantime, I suggest storing a secret as a secured repository, workspace, or deployment variable, instead of using a variable in the custom pipeline:

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Jeebu Aniyankunju
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 24, 2024

Hey Theodora!

Thanks for your swift response and pointing me to the feature request. I will keep a close eye on it and hope the team will implement this for a use case of mine.

Cheers!
Jeebu

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events