Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import / Export External Database Between Bitbucket 4.0.1 and 6.0

Todd Smith March 1, 2019

Hi All, 

We are building a new Bitbucket Server on a newer OS.  The documentation isn't clear on how to import the database from the old Bitbucket Server on the old OS into the new Bitbucket Server on the new OS.

Any ideas?  This is quite different than Jira and Confluence db's in which I could do XML exports and imports.

Thank you,

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2019

Hi,

I can only recommend to you follow upgrade guide for Bitbucket here (https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/bitbucket-server-upgrade-guide-776640551.html).

So from my opinion you should first make upgrade on old server. Because an old server is running old Bitbucket then better will be make upgrades step by step (4.0.1 -> 4.14 -> 5.0 -> 5.16 -> 6.0). It will tale some time, but for me it¨s best practise for whole range of Atlassian apps.

After upgrade to 6.0 (or 5.16) you can move/copy INSTALL and DATA dirs from old server to new one and make dump of DB. Then just run this on new server.

But if you are not too much familiar with Atlassian apps I can recommend to do this first on TEST environment (by copy of dirs and DBS and try follow upgrades path with interim versions.

Let me know if you will need some more information.

Todd Smith March 4, 2019

Hi Petr,

I've not seen any documentation that indicates I would have to go through upgrade to 4.0.1 -> 4.13 -> 5.0 -> 5.16 -> 6.0.  Can you point me in that direction?

You make mention of making a dump of the DB, is there any documentation about this process?

Thank you!

Todd Smith March 4, 2019

From the Server Upgrade Guide

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/bitbucket-server-upgrade-guide-776640551.html

"You can update from any previous version of Bitbucket Server to the latest version, as there is no required upgrade path."

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2019

Stuff with interim versions is just my opinion (and best practise based on my experience) because of your historic version of Bitbucket. The minimal upgrade path what I should do is 4.0.1 -> 5.0 -> 6.0.

Dump of DB depends on DBMS what are you using. Check documentation of your DBMS.

Also check supported platforms for 6.0 or another interim versions (switch by list in right upper corner).

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/supported-platforms-776640981.html

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events