I don't understand steps 1 and 6?

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Resolve merge conflicts

Step 1: cd ~/repo-directory

The result might look something like this:

computer:~ dstevens$ cd ~/space-repository

computer:space-repository dstevens$

Why can't you just start with cd ~/space-repository ? Also this assumes a particular prompt format (macOS?) my prompt is \[server dir\] It would be helpful if you used a simpler prompt format that only shows relevant information, like the classic \[/usr/local]\$  Your choice of "computer:space-repository dstevens$" Shows info that I don't need to see that is not relevant to the lesson at hand. dstevens? computer?

Then for 6: "Remove the change designations added by Git (12, and 3)."

What is a "change designation"? What are 1,2, and 3?  Where are change designations 1,2 and 3 identified?

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Yeah, it's pretty bad written.

The "change designations" most likely refers to the special sections which indicate what was added and removed (diff format) as shown in the screenshot, just above it. 

This widget could not be displayed.
Sam Hall Community Champion Jan 16, 2017

Hi Jason,

I can't comment on the command line format and general writing style. Hopefully someone from Atlassian will see your question/comment and take it onboard.

I think "change designations" 1, 2 and 3 refers to the annotations shown in the screen shot included in step 5. Here's a screenshot with the numbers added:

change-des.jpg

So, in the example given, they mean remove the lines that say:

<<<<<<< HEAD
======

and

>>>>>>> development

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 21, 2018 in Bitbucket

Branch Management with Bitbucket

As a project manager, I have discovered that different developers want to bring their previous branching method with them when they join the team. Some developers are used to performing individual wo...

1,590 views 9 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you