Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to test Ruby, Postgres, Redis Bitbucket Pipeline locally

Brett Mahnke April 5, 2019

I'm trying to setup a CI environment to run my ruby tests on any commits (currently). I'm having some issues currently as my I can't get my setup configured correctly.

I have my pipeline.yml file:

image: ruby:2.5

pipelines:
  default:
    - step:
        caches:
          - bundler    
        script: # Modify the commands below to build your repository.
          - cd $BITBUCKET_CLONE_DIR
          - echo "sudo apt-get build-essentials"
          - apt-get update -qq && apt-get install -y build-essential libpq-dev nodejs ruby-dev libidn11 libidn11-dev yarn
          - echo "bundle install"
          - bundle install --path vender/bundle
          - echo "migrate/seed/test"
          - rake db:migrate RAILS_ENV=test
          - rake test RAILS_ENV=test
        services:
          - postgres
          - redis
definitions:
  services:
    redis: 
      image: redis  
    postgres:
      image: postgres
      environment:
        POSTGRES_DB: $db_name
        POSTGRES_USER: $db_user
        POSTGRES_PASSWORD: $db_password
  caches:
    bundler: vendor/bundle

This get's me about 90% of the way to my CI environment, but for some reason my tests aren't passing in the environment and I want to test locally to figured out why/how to fix it.

To test locally, I have a docker-compose.yml that looks like so:

version: '3'
services:
db:
image: postgres
ports:
- "5432:5432"
volumes:
- ./tmp/db:/var/lib/postgresql/data
redis:
image: redis
web:
build: .
command: bundle exec rails s -p 3001 -b '0.0.0.0'
volumes:
- .:/src
ports:
- "3001:3001"
depends_on:
- db
- redis

A Dockerfile like so:

FROM ruby:2.5
RUN apt-get update -qq && apt-get install -y build-essential libpq-dev nodejs ruby-dev libidn11 libidn11-dev yarn
RUN mkdir /src
WORKDIR /src
COPY Gemfile /src/Gemfile
COPY Gemfile.lock /src/Gemfile.lock
RUN bundle install
COPY . /src

The docker setup doesn't resemble the Bitbucket pipeline 100% (and I need it to) because all my rails tests pass in the straight docker container, but not on Bitbucket in the pipeline. 

Any help on wha to change for my docker setup, or my pipeline setup?

Or, conversely, my rails tests fail in the Bitbucket Pipeline environment while attempt to access models that extend other models. Any help fixing a rails setup for that would be helpful too. 

1 answer

0 votes
Steven Vaccarella
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2019

Hi Brett,

Have you seen this help page about debugging locally? It describes some additional parameters that can be passed to docker to better simulate the Pipelines environment?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/debug-your-pipelines-locally-with-docker-838273569.html

Cheers,
Steven

bmahnke1 April 16, 2019

I have actually, I followed the guide. 

I have missed how mine differs, because my tests pass locally in Docker, but not in the pipelines. 

Steven Vaccarella
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2019

The reason I ask is that I can't see where you've passed the parameters restricting the type and amount of memory available to your docker containers (I'm not very familiar with docker compose though). Specifically, to simulate your current Pipelines configuration, each of your services should be limited to 1G memory:

--memory=1g --memory-swap=1g --memory-swappiness=0

and your main build container 2G:

--memory=2g --memory-swap=2g --memory-swappiness=0
Steven Vaccarella
Atlassian Team
April 16, 2019

If you continue to see the same discrepancy between your local environment and Pipelines (after applying these memory restrictions) then it might help if you could provide some more detailed information about the errors you're seeing in Pipelines. Eg. is there any indication that the underlying cause may be problem connecting to the postgres service?

bmahnke1 April 17, 2019

The memory parameters are something to look into.

It seems like connections to postgres are fine. I can run tests that require the database, which will succeed. 

The problem I run into, are Ruby models that extend, or inherit, other models. When those tests are ran in the pipelines, records for those are not found. 

Maybe it has something to do with the the Ruby fixtures not being loaded into the database for those models? Which I don't know if that's an issue with Ruby, Docker, or Pipelines usage of Ruby & Docker.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events