cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up two step verification on bitbucket

Ron Hopp
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 1, 2019

I tried to set up two step verification following the instructions to use SMS. I submitted my phone number, but did not receive a text with the 6 digit code.

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2019

Hey Ron,

Bitbucket specifically uses third-party authenticators like Authy or Duo to manage 2FA. You may have picked up a document describing 2FA for Atlassian ID which does allow SMS - this is a little confusing as Bitbucket's 2FA is managed separately.

Our document for Bitbucket's 2FA is here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/two-step-verification-777023203.html

The first time you use some of these authenticators, they may send you an SMS code to verify you own the phone number you're setting the authenticator app on. If this SMS code (from Authy, Duo, Google Authenticator, etc) didn't arrive, you'll need to reach out to the app vendor. I can help you find that information if you're willing to let me know which authenticator app you're using.

Once the app is all set up, there will be a QR code in Bitbucket's web interface that you scan with the authenticator app in your smartphone. From then on out, the authenticator should prompt you to accept or deny requests to log in to Bitbucket.

Hope that helps, and happy to troubleshoot further!
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Ron Hopp
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 11, 2019

I need instructions on how to set up two factor authorization with a non-smart phone. I cannot scan a QR code.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2019

Hey Ron,

For the case of not having a smartphone, you'll need to use Authy. They offer a desktop application which you can use without a smartphone at all.

From their download page, you can either select the Desktop client or get the version that runs as a Chrome extension. After it's set up, you can follow the Bitbucket documentation above for finishing the 2FA setup.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events