Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to code review in BitBucket - what does "Finish Review" button do?

SH July 9, 2024

I cant find any documentation on how code reviews work in BB.

Currently I only add comments, because I dont know what starting and finishing review buttons do.

E.g. if I am reviewing someones code, and hit "finish review", I assume this means close down the review and mark it as accepted, so I never hit this button, as I want the code author to make changes.  Then this leaves reviews "open", and I dont know what this does either. Does the code author see the review when its started, but not finished?  This is what I am guessing.  however, I dont know who has to hit "finish review" and when, is it me or the author?

What is the difference between just adding comments, and hitting start review, adding comments then hitting finish review?

2 answers

2 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2024

Hi @SH,

There are a few differences between simply adding comments in pull requests vs doing it via a review:

• When you start a review, any comments you make as part of this review will not be visible to other users until you hit the Finish review button. If you simply add a comment without a review, the comment will be immediately visible to other users.

• When you finish the review, you have the option of marking the pull request as approved (your approval is added to the PR), "Request changes", or "No status". You can perform the first two actions without a review, but when you start and finish a review, you need to select one of these three options.

• Another important change is that when you finish a review, a single email notification will be sent to your teammates with all the comments of the review. This has been a highly requested feature from some users, because it reduces noise in the email. For example, if you add five separate comments in a pull request without a review, your colleagues will receive five separate emails. If you submit these five comments as part of a review, your colleagues will get a single email notification for that review.

You can find some of the info I mentioned in the following community article:

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Kind regards,
Theodora

2 votes
Kuğbe July 9, 2024

Hi @SH 

So the difference between Using "Start Review" and "Finish Review" organizes the review process, indicating when you begin and complete your evaluation, ensuring clear communication about the review status.

However, If you click "Finish Review" while reviewing someone's code, it does not mean the review is closed or accepted. It simply indicates that you have completed your review process. The code author can still see your comments and make changes accordingly.

The review remains "open" until all reviewers finish their reviews. Both the reviewer and the author can see the review's status. Typically, reviewers click "Finish Review" to signal that they are done reviewing. The code author can then address the comments and make necessary changes.

hope this helps(:

SH July 9, 2024

Great, so start and end review are entirely optional - you could just add comments.

Like Kuğbe likes this
Kuğbe July 9, 2024

Yes, that's correct! The "Start Review" and "Finish Review" actions help structure the review process, but they are not mandatory. You can choose to add comments directly without explicitly starting or finishing a review. All depends to your team's workflow structure/process. This flexibility allows reviewers to provide feedback in a way that suits their workflow best.

If you have any more questions or need further clarification, feel free to ask!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events