Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to block push to master without PR but allow Jenkins?

Greg Huber March 29, 2016

I'm not sure I understand the Branch permissions concept correctly.

I want to block user pushes to master, but there are some users that need to be able to do that i.e. Jenkins during release process.

I checked the "Prevent changes without a pull request" option but there's no way to exclude Jenkins from this rule.

When I use the "Limit write access to" we can't even merge PR's anymore.

Please help wink 

2 answers

1 vote
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2016

Hi Greg, 

I think you understand the feature correctly, it's just that the feature you're looking for has not been implemented yet. I suggest keeping an eye on the follow feature request and Watch it for any future updates when we may implement this. This would allow you to specify the Jenkins user so that it can makes changes to master without a pull request.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BSERV-7475

Thanks for pointing me to the right place. I will be looking out for that feature.

1 vote
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2016

As far as I know, there's no way to overwrite the rule requiring PRs for certain users.  And you have to have write access to merge a Pull Request.

The best alternative is probably to not require PRs but to limit write access to only the Jenkins user and a few trusted human users.  Then other developers will have to issue Pull Requests, and the Pull Requests will have to be merged by the trusted human users.  The trusted human users will be able to push directly to the branch, but - because they're trusted - they won't.

I understand your point, but that's not something I'm looking for.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events