How to access the commit message in pre-receive hook

Jim Murphy March 6, 2013

Hi,

I am attempting to write a pre-recieve hook in Stash 2.2 where I check the formatting of the commit message. I have been unsuccessful at accessing the message and am hoping I could get some guidance or even an example.

Thanks,

-Jim

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
seb
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2013

Hi Jim,

These are the steps involved for what you need:

1. Create a PreReceiveRepositoryHook as detailed here: https://developer.atlassian.com/stash/docs/latest/how-tos/repo-hook-examples/pre-receive-no-config.html
  2. Iterate over the RefChanges (as shown in the example above). The pre receive hook does not receive a collection of changesets, but rather a list of the refs that have changed. There can be multiple refs that have changed in one push (eg pushing multiple commits to multiple branches at once)
  3. For each RefChange, use the fromHash and toHash to extract the individual changesets: https://developer.atlassian.com/static/javadoc/stash/latest/api/reference/com/atlassian/stash/repository/RefChange.html
  4. Using HistoryService.getChangesetsBetween stream a list of changesets from RefChange.getFromHash and RefChange.getToHash
  5. For each of these changesets, validate the message as you need.

Hope that helps,

Seb

Jan Groth September 17, 2013

This solution works, but the use of HistoryService.getChangesetsBetween with fromHash and toHash is deprecated in between.

The recommended ChangeSetBetweenRequest does not seem to provide a similar 'fromHash' - 'toHash' mechanism. We added fromHash to builder.include(), but this included everything. Using toHash as builder.exclude() in turn excluded everything.

Any hints on how to proceed?

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2013

Hi Jan,

While the terminology might seem a little strange, you want to reverse those arguments. You want to exclude the fromHash and include the toHash. That is exactly what the deprecated method is doing. This gives you a might more powerful way to include/exclude multiple changesets, rather than just a single from/to pair.

Cheers,

Charles

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events