How do I pull a pull request's code locally for testing?

Joseph Dillon December 4, 2014

How do pull code from a pull request in order to test it? 

GitHub provides nice easy buttons / pre-populated git commands to do this. How do I do it with stash?

It baffles me that there isnt a simple button for this. This is a top tier reason people use version control. Just because it looks good in a diff doesnt mean it actually works. 

I know I could create an ailias to do this, but that defeats the whole point of bothering with Stash in the first place. 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
TimP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2014

Hi Joseph,

@Nicola Paolucci covered this pretty nicely in this blog: http://blogs.atlassian.com/2014/08/how-to-fetch-pull-requests/

cheers,

Tim

Looks like a really good article and I'll have to read it more thoroughly soon. I honestly prefer the command line, I just wish there was a button like, "Pull this code locally" that generates all the git commands. GitHub does this nicely (although they first try to get you to use their terrible GUI).

TimP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2014

That's a really nice idea, I've raised a suggestion here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-6826

Awesome. I appreciate it. In the mean time I'll have to work around this issue.

Brent P
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2014

Keep in mind that GitHub's "check out this PR" is just checking out the source branch. Nicola's article shows how to use Stash to pull the result of the PR merge (ie. what the target branch will look like if the PR is merged). It's a subtle but important difference.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events