Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I efficiently get the number of commits a branch is ahead/behind using the REST API?

Adrian Price
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 25, 2017

I'm trying to build reporting around branches' relative histories, so that we can:

• See what branches have been merged to the upstream branch and can be removed
  • See what branches have commits that need to be merged to the upstream branch
  • See what branches need to be merged from upstream in order to avoid conflicts when merging to upstream

Basically I want the same ahead/behind info that's shown in the Web UI's Branches page for a repo, but I need to automate reporting on it for multiple repositories at once.

Right now I have a working process via:

1. Get list of repos
  2. For each repo, get list of branches
  3. For each branch, get list of commits on that branch with ?exclude=<upstream> to see how many commits ahead it is
  4. For each branch, get list of commits on the upstream branch with ?exclude=<branch> to see how many commits behind it is

This works, but rapidly hits the 1k/hr rate limit on calls to the commits route, and it's horribly slow with more than a handful of repos & branches, and worse yet with multiple pages of commits as the paginated commits API does not provide a full result set count. I understand the rate limits, and for the performance on both ends I would much rather a cleaner way of doing this, but I can't find any other option anywhere in the SDK docs. Have I missed something?

5 answers

1 vote
Arthur Violy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 6, 2018

+1

Same question, same problem.

Why this feature available on Web UI is not available into API.

Saif June 20, 2019

Absolutely a must feature.

We are highly interested in this. 

Any possible availability in near upcoming releases?

0 votes
Daniele Gaffuri
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 2, 2024

Debugging front end I've found an internal API that is callable with OAuth: 

https://bitbucket.org/api/internal/repositories/<repo>/branch-list/?q=name != "master" AND (ahead = 0 OR ahead = null)

0 votes
elicier_molina_contractor
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 14, 2021

One more here

0 votes
derbenoo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 15, 2019

+1

0 votes
manu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 15, 2019

+1 here. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events