Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Releases - Bitbucket Server

hutcj November 14, 2019

We really like relying on the Enterprise Release model for JIRA Software and ServiceDesk. I see it's also available for Confluence which we may start using in the future. However, I was wondering when Enterprise Releases would be coming to Bitbucket server? It would make server maintenance less subjective when deciding what version to upgrade to and when.

1 answer

0 votes
Roger Barnes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2019

Hi @hutcj , as it happens this is something we're considering at the moment. I don't have a concrete answer just yet, but expect to in the coming months.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear more from your point of view. What specifically about an Enterprise Release appeals to you. What factors are important when "deciding what version to upgrade to and when"?

hutcj November 19, 2019

@Roger Barnes 
Knowing that a release is tested more thoroughly and will be supported longer are big factors. On top of that, I don't know anyone who actually needs to upgrade to the latest version every time the next one becomes available - it's just too much overhead for small benefits. We still need to get bugfixes, however, and we do want take advantage of new features once they are robust and have matured for a few releases. Both bugfixes and new features are important to us, but stability is more important than being cutting edge 24/7. Thus, the LTS model many companies have adopted ("Enterprise Release" at Atlassian) is a perfect solution - backported bugfixes to a stable release that we can continually rely upon until the next LTS release becomes available - which also gives us plenty of time to plan the upgrade before the current LTS goes out of support. I don't know Atlassian's model, but I think most places have 3 LTS releases available at once - one that is about to go out of support, one that just got released, and one that's been available for a while but will still be supported for a while.

Roger Barnes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2019

Thanks @hutcj !

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events