Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Repos size include the Git LFS size?

James Dugger January 25, 2019

Converted a Repos to Git LFS using the following steps:

$ run java -jar ~/bfg-1.13.0.jar --convert-to-git-lfs "*.tgz" --no-blob-protection repos_name
$ git reflog expire --expire=now --all && git gc --prune=now --aggressive
$ git push --force

Repo size info in settings went from:
before (conversion NO LFS): 
  Size 1.0 GB
  GFS 0 

After (convresion to LFS)
  size: 1.2 GB
  GFS 435 MB

Need to make sure that this works and I don't get a locked repos at next commit.

Please verify

Also the following 

$ java -jar ~/bfg-1.13.0.jar --delete-files blah.tgz --no-blob-protection repos_name
$ git reflog expire --expire=now --all && git gc --prune=now --aggressive
$ git push --force

This does not change the Size listed in repos settings but the file is no longer in any of the commits

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2019

Hi James, I've checked your Bitbucket Cloud account but I couldn't find any repo that big. Were you referring to a different account? Is the issue solved already?

Let us know!

Ana

James Dugger January 28, 2019

I may have deleted it trying to redo the git gc process.  I have a repo that is at 1.0 GB and tried to reduce it by removing a large .tgz file from the repos.  I forked the repos to -LFS but the size went to 1.4. This was last Friday.  Today I noticed that repos is down to 385.7 MB.  I need to confirm why the size went up first and then down.

James Dugger January 28, 2019

Concerned that cleaning a Repos that is close to 2GB would actually cause it to be placed in read-only mode trying to reduce its size.  We can't afford to be locked out while trying to clean and pair down a repos.  Please clarify ASAP.  Thank you

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2019

Hi James, that's something that happens sometimes due to some new references that get created during the cleanup process plus the garbage that has to be removed. 

BitBucket (same as other hosting services) doesn't necessarily clean all the detritus from the remote immediately after your clean up so you'll still see the size of the cleaned repo + the garbage that has to be deleted. After a while, an automatic gc runs on our side and the garbage goes away. You can notice this if you try to clone the repo to your local computer, as only the cleaned part gets cloned.

Hope that clarifies your concern, James!

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

Ana

James Dugger January 29, 2019

So then I have 2 important questions:

1. If we clean a repo that is initially at 1.8GB and after cleaning the clean repo + garbage  jumps to 2.2GB, will this trigger the repo to be placed into read only?

2. If it does trigger readonly, once your system has had a change to garbage collect will it be removed from readonly.

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
January 30, 2019

Hi James,

1. Once a repo reaches 2GB it will become read-only, no matter what was the reason why the repo reached that state.

2. Once our system runs the garbage collection and the repo is back to under 2GB, it will be removed from read-only.

Is there anything else we can help you with?

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events