Create a folder structure of projects within projects having repositories

Shailja Maheshwari January 12, 2020

I want to create a proper folder structure segregating types of projects. This is urgent. These sub projects contain the repository/repositories. For example:

├── Common/

│   ├── CS/

│   │   ├── Repo 1.1 

│   │   ├── repo1.2

│   │   ├── repo1.3

│   │   ├── upto repo1.7

│   │   

│   └── PY/

│       ├── repo 2.1

│       ├── repo 2.2

│       ├── upto repo 2.5

│      

├── Desktop/

│   ├── repo 3.1 to 3.4

│  

├── Embedded/

│   └── Arduino/

│       ├── 3 repo(s) withing this folder

|

└── Web/

I know I can create a project and inside it the repositories. But I am not getting an option to create the project(or you can call it folder in terms of file structure) within another project(folder) which is my requirement. 

2 answers

0 votes
Emile swain August 18, 2020

I'll add to this as i'm in a similar situation, though marginaly different. 

Organisationally i've been given rule over a bit bucket project. Other client teams have similar projects for their respective projects/clients. 

As such the Project level is used so to speak to manage that level of abstraction. 

So I have my project, I now have 70+ repos. Prototypes, pitch work, client work, and so forth. Which guess what, i'd like to organise into into folders (within my project) so i can more easily manage those repos. 

Recently a search tab was added, but its like the worst implementation. It literally searchs for a match from the beginning of the repo name. Means you can't find repos based on a string within the repo name. Basically makes the search bar useless.

Just to be clear.
1. This is not about adding folders into a repo. 
2. This is not about being able to link repos into other repos.

This is about being able to group repos into folders at the Project level so i can more easily find repos i'm working on.

I can appreciate this may be low on the list of priorities of things to do.

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2020

Bitbucket does not allow you to create sub-projects with a project. Based on your description you are looking for something like Git subtrees. Subtrees allow you to bring in other repositories as a sub repository. We use Git subtrees as a way of sharing common code between projects.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events