Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you start a pipeline by branch + tag?

Steven Stewart September 9, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configure bitbucket-pipelines.yml

We'd like to be able to start a pipeline by using a specific tag on a branch. Our setup has 6 environments, production, staging, int-a, dev-a, int-b and dev-b. We are using a custom git-flow workflow with master, develop, feature/*, defect/*, release/* and hotfix/* branches. We'd like to direct the same release/* branch to start two different pipelines, depending upon a git tag. By default, the release/* branch would trigger a build and deploy to int-a, but once we're happy with this at some point in the future, we could trigger a build and deploy for this release branch to int-b using the tag. So, always trigger the build and deploy to int-a, and only build and deploy to int-b when a specific tag or tag pattern is added to the branch.

I know we could just use two different branches, but extending for the tag would be grand.

If you have it, bonus, how do I do that then?

2 answers

1 vote
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2016

This feature has meanwhile been implemented, though not yet documented - refer to the latest comments on the following issue for details:

Adrian Hristov February 7, 2017

Haven't tried this yet, but according to the link provided, this features is now available.

Like 小池貴之 likes this
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2017

Thanks @Adrian Hristov, I've rephrased the answer accordingly.

0 votes
Mina Luke June 11, 2018

From what I understand the answer is no, it is either tags or branches. I could not figure out a way to trigger a pipeline based on both.

Alain Seng June 28, 2018

I understand the same way but how can I make the difference between a tag on master branch and a tag on development branch? A workaround would be a prefix "prod_*" and "dev_*" but I doubt this is the most clever solution

Eugene Dementiev June 29, 2018

We also really need to be able to trigger a pipeline for a particular branch tag

Mina Luke July 3, 2018

I could not find a way to do that. If a pipeline is triggered by a tag it will triggered by that tag regardless the branch. As a workaround, I am using tags that contain `rc` to refer to staging branch while tags with no `rc` refer to production branch. I do not like this workaround but I could not find another solution.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events