Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket data center fails to create a repository

Maciej Musialek
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 24, 2018

Hi,

I'm currently working on setting up a bitbucket data center using the trial version of the product for a proof of concept. The issue I'm encountering is that creating a repo is failing. I'm able to set up users groups edit server setting, create projects and set permissions. I've already setup all the shared instances required by bitbucket and am still struggling to get the adding repos working. I can't find the error anywhere in logs however when I press create I get

{projectName}\{projectRepo} could not be created

Could someone point me in the direction of solving this issue or let me know where I can find error logs from such problems?

Thanks,

Maciej

2 answers

2 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2018

First, I would suggest verifying that you followed all of the instructions on the setup docs. Data Center is quite a bit more complicated to set up than Server. Don't skip any steps.

My guess is that it has something to do with your shared storage volume. I would verify that the shared storage volume is mounted to the shared/ directory per the docs. I would then verify that the user that Bitbucket runs as can write to the volume.  

If those tests pass, I would look at Git. First, check the Supported Platforms page for the version you are running (pro tip: google search for "bitbucket <version number> supported platforms" ) The range of supported Git versions for your version of Bitbucket will be listed there. If you're running a variant of RedHat linux, it may be challenging to find an RPM of Git that you need for your linux distro.  We see this problem often enough that we have a CentOS6 and CentOS7 rpm-build server so we can make our own packages easily. It's easy to get the srpm that you need, install rpm-build and roll your own if you need to. 

I hope that helps get you unstuck.

Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2018

Agree with Dave's thought of it being a storage/permissions issue. Users/groups/projects are all stored in the DB, but a repository needs to write to your shared storage.

CCM

0 votes
Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2018

Hi,

Further to Dave's answer, I'd try to create the repo and then look at the Bitbucket Server logs in <BitbucketHome>/log/atlassian-bitbucket.log file to see which error occurs.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events