Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket backup fails due to invalid home directory.

newaters February 5, 2018

I am attempting to Backup my Bitbucket server instance using bitbucket-backup-client version 3.3.3. I am running Bitbucket version 4.13.0 on Red Hat Linux.

I have followed the instructions listed here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/using-the-bitbucket-server-backup-client-776640064.html

I have supplied the home directory through the backup-config.properties file bitbucket.home field

bitbucket.home=/home/atlbitbucket/appdata

Within that directory I see the following sub-directories

[root@utah app_data]# ls
analytics-logs bin caches export lib log logs plugins shared tmp

I receive an error message

[root@utah bitbucket-backup-client-3.3.3]# java -jar bitbucket-backup-client.jar
2018-02-05 15:21:35,580 INFO Initializing
2018-02-05 15:21:37,111 INFO Using Bitbucket 4.13.0
2018-02-05 15:21:37,158 INFO Contacting Bitbucket
2018-02-05 15:21:37,216 ERROR A backup could not be created
com.atlassian.bitbucket.internal.backup.client.BackupException: The configured BITBUCKET_HOME, /home/atlbitbucket/appdata, does not appear to be a valid home directory. Creating a backup requires direct access to the home directory for the running instance to allow it to interact with the repositories.
at com.atlassian.bitbucket.internal.backup.client.layout.DefaultApplicationHome.verify(DefaultApplicationHome.groovy:82)
at com.atlassian.bitbucket.internal.backup.client.DefaultBackupClient.doBackup(DefaultBackupClient.groovy:49)

This message is described in this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserverkb/bitbucket-server-backup-fails-due-to-an-invalid-home-directory-792633811.html

On my machine I have a user account named atlbitbucket, and bitbucket is installed in the home directory. I checked the script set-bitbucket-home.sh and BITBUCKET_HOME is being set to /home/atlbitbucket/app_data. As you can see from above I am attempting to run the client as root.

So how come the backup client thinks this is an invalid home directory?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
newaters February 5, 2018

My home directory is named /home/atlbitbucket/app_data, but in my config file I put /home/atlbitbucket/appdata. :facepalm:

Problem solved.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events