Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket Source view shows different files depending on URL

JBWeakley February 7, 2018

When I view the source files of my repo from two different ways of getting to that view I see two different results:

Situation A:

2018-02-07-12-03.PNG

"http://...src?at=dev-clean" shows me 2 directories and a README.txt file.

Situation B:

2018-02-07-12-04.PNG

"http://...src/ff45534a040217d687b68059e50e241b85b1766d?at=dev-clean" shows me the same 2 directories and the README, but also shows the .gitignore file.

Expectation:

I have and do want the .gitignore file tracked, and I would expect both views/URLs to show the same exact "Source" code since I am supposedly viewing the source.

How I arrived at each view/URL:

In Situation A I navigate to "Branches" in the left navigation menu of the repo, then on the far right of the desired branch name I click on the 3 dots, followed by the drop-down link for "View source". It appears to show me a "landing page" for that branch.

In Situation B I navigate to "Source" in the left navigation menu of the repo, then choose the desired branch name from the drop-down button. What loads is a page almost identical to the "landing page" described above, yet the difference is that the URL of this page contains the commit name of the most recent commit.

Why does this happen? And why would any view of the "source" of a branch, not contain all the directories and files of that branch?

FYI: here is my commit history:

2018-02-07-12-05.PNG

2 answers

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2018

Edit: it already got an answer :) 

JBWeakley February 13, 2018

Hello Ana, I see your original comment from my email:

Hi Jason! The second one has a specific hash, so it's going to always show that specific hash. The first doesn't, so it will show the HEAD of the dev-clean branch.

Hope that explains,

Ana

...unfortunately it does not explain the problem I am experiencing because the last commit is in fact the HEAD of the branch. I believe there is a problem with the UI, or some other issue that is presenting conflicting information in two similar views of the same branch state.

0 votes
jredmond
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2018

The second URL includes the hash for a specific commit (ff45534a040217d687b68059e50e241b85b1766d); that URL will always show that specific commit. The first view, on the other hand, doesn't specify a commit, so it will show the head of the dev-clean branch (whatever that might be).

JBWeakley February 13, 2018

It is possible I was not clear. The branch is as up-to-date as it is going to get. When I fetch and pull that branch down to a local environment, the .gitignore file comes with it. So I need for someone at Bitbucket to explain to me why I the customer expect one thing to be displayed and another thing is being displayed to me, thus confusing me. Thank you.

As I made clear from my OP and screenshots, the HEAD of the branch is the very same commit that is displayed in the second screen shot. IMHO I believe something is wrong with the UI of Bitbucket.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events