Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket Server - Git repo encryption on the server

Greg Fischer July 25, 2017

Hi all,

We have a requirement to encrypt a number of Git repos on our Bitbucket server.  I have had teams follow this:

Transparent Git Encryption · GitHub

and it works well.  However, because the repo is encrypted, when you login to Bitbucket from a web browser, you lose the functionality of pull requests, approvals, comparisons between versions, etc because the files are displayed in their encrypted form.  I have tried to implement the openssl scripts directly on the Bitbucket server by adding a .gitattributes to the repo on the server and modifying the repo's config file with no success.

Is there a way to encrypt a Git repo on the Bitbucket server, but allow Bitbucket to display the files correctly from the GUI and allow pull requests, approvals, etc to see the unencrypted files?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2017

Hi Greg,

Out of the box Bitbucket Server doesn't allow you to view encrypted files (i.e. decrypt them on the fly). It sounds like an interesting feature to request though, so feel free to go ahead and raise the feature request at jira.atlassian.com!

See Implementation of New Features Policy for details.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

Greg Fischer July 27, 2017

Thanks Christian!  BSERV-9970 created!

-Greg

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events