Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BitBucket - Show contact info on access denied page?

Ryan Grawin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 29, 2019

Is it possible to display BitBucket repository admin contact info (e-mail address) on the access denied page?

By default users get an "Access is Denied" message with a 401 skull and crossbones. It would be useful to see who to e-mail to get added to the repo. This is for a self-hosted Enterprise/Server instance.

Sample screen shot:
Capture.PNG

Thanks,
Ryan

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Julius Davies _bit-booster_com_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2019

The official answer, as with all things involving computers, is:  yes, it's possible.

But it's not easy - at least not as far as I can tell.

You would need to develop a custom plugin that binds to the "bitbucket.page.errors" web resource context.  There's a little more information here:  https://developer.atlassian.com/server/bitbucket/reference/web-resource-contexts/

If you can find my email address, send me a note, I might be able to put something together for you - or at least help get you started.

(Do you have any experience writing custom Bitbucket plugins?)

Ryan Grawin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 2, 2019

Thanks for the info. I have no experience writing Bitbucket plugins. I was hoping there was a setting somewhere to enable this behavior.

I'm not sure how self-hosted Bitbucket is usually setup, but at my company by default most projects are locked down. If you need access you somehow need to find out who the admin(s) are.

Julius Davies _bit-booster_com_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2019

Even determining which admin to put in a banner would be tricky.  There is a 3-level hierarchy of admins in Bitbucket Server:  repo-admins, project-admins, and global-admins.  Any one of those could grant you read or read/write access to a given repository.

In a large company the global admins would probably NOT want to be on the  banner you are imagining - could turn into a couple emails-per-day !

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events