Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket + Compass: So much more together

Git enables teams code together at scale. CI/CD then transforms that code quickly and securely into features for internal and external users. But how do teams collaboratively use the features that they build internally?

After all, end users have entire marketing and customer success teams helping them discover new features. Development teams lack tools to help them understand and navigate the software components created by their teammates such as services, libraries, and APIs.

Bringing Bitbucket and Compass together gives developers a pathway to navigate and manage the health of the many services, libraries, and APIs across the organization.

The dark times

Software development continues to get more complex. You need to keep on top of open source trends, new tools, and techniques - just to get started. 

As teams build reusable services, APIs, and libraries, etc. shared across your products that you also have to learn, software sprawl can get out of hand. It weighs on each developer – and is far too much to remember and navigate effectively. Because of friction like this, less than half of developers think their organization prioritizes developer experience. (State of developer experience report 2024, Atlassian)

That’s why we’re building multiple integration points between Bitbucket and Compass. It will turn around your developer experience for the better by helping teams find information faster and understand the context of their code. Let’s dive in!

Slide 16_9 - 3 (10) (1).png

Visualize repos and their dependencies

Compass transforms the way you look at repos by visualizing them as different components in a catalog. Each software component has a page enriched with data developers need to use it - runbooks, managing team, Slack channels, and more. The components your team is responsible for come together in your team's dashboard – to make updating documentation as painless as possible.  

Compass also visualizes the relationship between your repos so that you can communicate critical changes and stay informed of changes that affect your services. Worried about the impact on your service may have on downstream dependencies? Now you’ll easily be able to inform the right teams about any risks as you release new features. 

Capture CI/CD data and we’ve got DORA metrics

While a component catalog is transformative in reducing the cognitive load on your developers, your toolchain brings it to life. That’s why we also integrate into Bitbucket’s built-in CI/CD, Pipelines. It allows you to see the health of your components - as well as builds and deployments - over time.

Now, you don’t have to keep track of the details - everything surfaces in the health score of your components. Recent failed builds can result in lower health scores. Or delays in deployments. The scorecard is customizable so you can integrate what matters to your team in the composite score.

Having the health of your scorecard front and center in your team’s dashboard is going to change your whole teams’ behavior. See how everyone responds next time the deployment frequency drops.

Streamline workflows, development, and compliance with Compass automation 

Compass also empowers developers to make new components. Using templates makes it easy for developers to move fast while following best practices. 

These templates can include boilerplate code for CI/CD pipelines, preset information, webhooks, and more. The webhook created with the template can pass all kinds of information about the component to the rest of your tools. For example ‘What line of business does this belong to?’ or ‘Does it require SOX for deployments. This webhook can be used to continue automation or orchestration of a new software component in your development environment.

Compass keeps going

Integration into Jira, Jira Service Management, Snyk, and many more tools brings even more depth to Compass. These integrations allow you to capture information such as MTTR and security KPIs that can be added to your scorecards for a broader view of component health.

Compass powers organization-wide async developer collaboration. And it all starts with the Bitbucket integration. By sharing their work with the whole organization, developers can find the right component for their work and connect with the team that owns it to learn more about what is possible.

Want to more details on what Bitbucket + Compass can do for you organization? Join the webinar!

Frame 1 (9) (2).png

Platform engineering is an emerging trend in software development to enable engineering organizations to optimize their ways of working. Join us in this webinar to learn how Atlassian’s platform team empowers our developers to build high quality software at speed.

In this webinar, you’ll learn:

• Why platform engineering is on the rise and how it can accelerate velocity, improve developer experience, and help you save on costs

• How Atlassian runs platform engineering at scale to help with compliance and lifting the cognitive load on developers

• How Atlassian products can help set your platform engineering organization up for success

• Tips on getting started and succeeding with platform engineering initiatives in your organization

Register for the Webinar

5 comments

ijaz170000_gmail_com July 23, 2024

bit bucket is free or paid? and also tell me it require credit card or not?

Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2024

Looks like I missed the webinar, is there a recording?

Like caspero likes this
Danine O_Donnell July 25, 2024

uhm no recording- I was hoping to show my dev team...

Kathryn Kosey July 25, 2024

I tuned in to the webinar yesterday and they said they'd post a recording, so it may just not be available yet. I need the recording as well: I was interrupted by messages partway through watching the webinar so I need to rewatch it, as well as share it with a few other team members.

kevinwaterson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 25, 2024

So, the solution to application complexity is adding more complexity?
This is horrible.

Like Edgars Batna likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events