Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats happens when we disable the bamboo security feature to "Process Bamboo Specs in Docker"?

Sugendh K Ganga January 10, 2019

What happens if I am not Isolating the processing of Bamboo Specs by disabling this feature?

In my environment I cannot/don't want to install docker on my bamboo server(because bamboo itself is containerized, since docker in docker can get a bit messy). So in order to process the bamboo specs, i see that we have to disable the security feature to "Process Bamboo Specs in Docker".

I see that Atlassian doesnt recoment doing this. Can someone please explain me why and What are the cons of disabling this security settings? 

@Alexey Chystoprudov Kindly help me closing this.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2019

When Bamboo see changes in repository it runs such steps:

1. Checkout source code
  2. Run Maven tool to compile and run Bamboo Specs generator to produce internal YAML
  3.  Read YAML and build plan/deployment structure and apply them to configuration.

Step #2 is very danger from security point of view. It takes Java code outside of Bamboo control (remote repository) and executes it inside Bamboo server. To make sure environment is fully isolated Bamboo team recommends to use Docker to divide Maven execution from Bamboo Server environment.

If you can't use Docker then Bamboo Server will try to do the most safe action and run Maven with custom Java Security Manager which don't allow to access network, execute other applications or read/write files outside of working directory by Java code. But we think that this barrier might be not enough to make you server fully secured.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events