Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting a variable that can be used by other build plans

lance_lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2019

Is there a way to set a bamboo variable like an artifact and then use this variable by another plan on some other date.

We have some docker images that we build out and I would like to store the docker image name that is set after that build (servicename:1.0.0.1).  Then on a down stream deploy of that image, I would like to get the docker image name from that variable and deploy it.

So essentially can we store a value in a bamboo variable that can be used later?

I know I could store the name in a file (lastimagename.txt) and then set that file as an artifact and pull that artifact and read the value out of the file but this is a long way to get to a variable that should be able to be set and used.

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2019

Hi @lance_lyons 

If I had to solve this problem with Bamboo I would try to set/get this information from the source code. This would assure that whenever an old build is a rerun or an old deploy is redeployed I would have the correct name used for that image.

We can't achieve that through Bamboo variables. You cannot set their values with the current implementation of Bamboo. You could use the inject variables but that would require the artifact to be set with the value (as you already know).

We have a feature that should cover the need you expressed:

Is it possible to add the content in the source code?
It could be a commit tag that will be set and read later. 
Does that make sense?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events