Run Bamboo tasks in memory

Is it somehow possible to run tasks in memory out of the box? I'd like to have my working directory copied into memory to run the tasks faster, especially  things like the sonar alaysis. I appreciate any hints on that topic.

Thanks in advance!

4 answers

I think you can use RAM disk for that. However I'm sure that sonar analysis is CPU-bound and the files are cached in memory by OS (so RAM disk won't help much).

I didn't measure sonar analysis performance but I measured speed of Visual C++ compilation and there was almost linear dependency on CPU while faster disk played not a big role.

1 votes

Sebastian

What do you mean by "running tasks in memory". Do you want to use RAM-based filesystem instead of disk-based? As @Sergey Podobry [Stellarity Software] noticed this will not speed up Sonar analysis much. You might want to make sure that all your java processes have plenty of heap (-Xmx setting).

Please tell us more about your plan/tasks configuration and where you're having performance problems so we might provide more targeted answer.

And if you're running on linux, you'll want to take a look at /dev/shm

Krystian,

thats exactly what I wanted to do. But since you both say, that this won't be that effective I probably don't follow that idea anymore.

Thanks a lot!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Renan Battaglin
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,066 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot