Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing of Ephemeral agents

K_ Scheel June 13, 2024

The wording regarding licensing is a bit ambiguous. All the licensing info pages mention the number of "Remote Agents". Since there are three different types of agents (remote, ephemeral, elastic), it sounds like only true "Remote Agents" would count towards the license.

But I'm assuming that's not actually the case, and elastic/ephemeral agents consume the license just like a regular remote agent?

The elastic instance documentation  confirms this:

An elastic agent is counted as a remote agent for licensing purposes

But I couldn't find anything specific about ephemeral agents.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2024

You are assuming correctly, all three different types of agents (remote, ephemeral, elastic) are technically 'remote', which basically means that they are running in their own JVM and thus need to communicate with the Bamboo host via the network.

This contrast with the long deprecated 'local' agents that are running inside the same JVM as the Bamboo host - local agents are no longer available as of Bamboo 9.6, see Difference between Bamboo Local agents and Remote Agents if you want to learn more regardless.

You've already confirmed the 'remote' license aspect of Elastic agents, and while section Ephemeral agents does not mention licensing explicitly, it still confirms the 'remote' characteristics that will use a license slot per running agent:

An ephemeral agent is a short-lived remote agent that starts on-demand inside a Kubernetes cluster to carry out a single build or deployment before being shut down.

0 votes
Shashank Kumar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 13, 2024

Hello K_ Scheel,

Welcome to Atlassian community.

You can read through the licensing query at https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/bamboo and let me know if this answers your above query. If you have any specific do let me know. 

Regards,

Shashank kumar

**please don't forget to Accept the answer if your query was answered**

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events