Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Bamboo a good platform for building automated testing?

David Parks February 1, 2012

Can someone give me an overview of what it looks like to use bamboo to schedule, or continuously run PHPUnit test and Selenium functional tests?

I'm investigating automated testing options for a PHP website.

Bamboo looks interesting, there are many features we're not ready for yet, but would love to be able to grow into.

For now we'd like to think about:

(1) Unit testing (PHPUnit probably)

(2) Functional automated tests (Selenium possibly)

(3) Load testing (JMeter probably)

#3 isn't so important to automate, but I can see creating some nightly testing or continuous automated testing of the #1 (Unit tests), and #2 (Functional tests).

Then probably continuing on to automated release management.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2012

At Atlassian, we run Selenium tests (and other Web UI functional tests based e.g. on HTMLUnit) on every commit made to the repository. For example, Bamboo is developed in that way.

PHPunit is supported out of the box and there's a plugin for JMeter.

There's not much difference between running these tests and running unit tests or testless builds. You can run builds for every commit, or schedule builds to be triggered at sepcific times (e.g. nightly). If you have some specific questions, feel free to post them here.

David Parks February 2, 2012

What I don't really have a feel for yet is how "Running Tests" looks in Bamboo. I guess I just need to spend some time POCing it on my own, but I was hoping you can just give me a short example of what your processes look like in regard *only* to the testing aspect.

I expect that we would implement functionality iteratively, and we would start with setting up nightly automated testing and run that for a while before moving on to other features. I want to know (feel like) this is a workable use case for Bamboo.

ReneR
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2012

a short example of what your processes look like

is your question one of technical details about Bamboo? Technical details about testing frameworks for PHP? Or Workflow patterns and approaches for how to implement Test Driven Development or folding Unit and Functional testing into your Development process?

It's a bit hard to "translate" exactly which "processes" you're talking about...

David Parks February 12, 2012

My question is really about workflow patterns and approaches to implementing testing (initially folding unit testing & functional testing in, and later test driven development). I haven't yet set up and run tests of Bamboo, so this question is precursor to setting up a POC in our environment.

Richard Cross April 9, 2015

How long do your Web UI functional tests take to run though? Our suite can take 20 minutes to run... and we might have 5 commits within a few minutes.

Jeremy Roelfs July 19, 2017

Posted 3X to no avial so I'm bumping this... it's 2017... but I still cannot find a specific HOW-TO setup selenium tests in Bamboo. Lots of "oh it can be done" "we do it" and "there's a plugin for that"  but nothing goes into detail on how it is actually done...

HOW TO: A. Commit your testing suite repo... B. Add the executable to a command task like this so your Testing Suite can run... C. Use After Deployment Trigger to run the executable like this... D. Then setup your NUnit Parser to get the results like this...

And to make it more difficult. Our Selenium Testing suite is in C#/Selenium/NUnit built using a page object model. It's a very nice testing framework, but how can we get it to run after/against a deployment?

Nothing puts all these pieces together... I can't figure out how to get any Selenium tests to run.

0 votes
mike p September 5, 2018

Can anyone let me know a way to test a web application automatically without having a code or build? but with only user login, password and URL. I think it may be a UI Test.

Please let me know weather bamboo can able to do this kind of test.

Jeyanthan I
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2018

You may use tools like Selenium to automate UI testing. This external Browserstack link gives you an idea on how to configure with Bamboo.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2012

I'd say yes. I've not used Bamboo a lot myself, but there are teams here using it to run Selenium and JMeter tests (amongst others). They seem very happy with it. I don't know about PHPUnit - I don't see why not, but haven't seen it used.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events