How to access SolutionDir from post build event in bamboo?

Does anyone know how to access Solution Variables such as "$SolutionDir" from VS in bamboo? You cannot define a custom variable in bamboo = to SolutionDir so I am stuck. Any ideas please.

2 answers

The variable itself cannot be used in bamboo, but you can hardcode the solutiondir by using the workspace directory and the relative file of you sln. Or you can define a bamboo variable and use that as a environment variabe. VS allows you to use environment variables with the $() syntax.

But please explain why you need that. Maybe there is another way of achieving the same.

What I am attempting is to get the value to $(SolutionDir) from the post build event that is defined in the .csproj file. What happens is that when the post build steps goes to run in bamboo the $(SolutionDir) is not defined so when bamboo tries to use that variable it has no value so it actually substitutes an extra ../ to the path and the .file that is trying to be copied is not found.

Since Bamboo only allows alphanumeric variables I cannot predefine $(SolutionDir) in bamboo which should be changed in my opinion. As a result the build fails and reports an unsuccessful status. I know I can modify the .csproj file but that defeats the purpose of the $(SolutionDir).

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked Thursday in Jira Ops

I'm John Allspaw, Ask Me Anything about incident analysis and postmortems

I'm John Allspaw, co-founder of   Adaptive Capacity Labs, where we help teams use their incidents to learn and improve. We bring research-driven methods and approaches to drive effective inciden...

740 views 7 7
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you