Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I run a task on a Plan after a previous task has failed?

Scott Fischer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 14, 2013

I have a build process with ~10 steps that need to mostly be run in order. If any of the first nine steps fail, there's no need to run the rest of them. My problem arises from the last step. I want that to be run no matter what the outcome of the first 9 steps. Running steps 6-9 would be a decent sized waste of time if step 5 fails, but I still want step 10 to be called as a clean-up step.

Ideally, this would all be part of one plan, but even linking seperate plans together wouldn't be too bad. I'm really hoping that I'm missing something obvious and there's a way to do this, because otherwise the process will likely gain layers of difficulty/complexity.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brent Villalobos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2013

How large are those initial steps? If you can make them all tasks within a single job, then you can specify "Final Tasks" that will run no matter what.

Scott Fischer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 14, 2013

Right. So later stages aren't called if the early stages fail, but a finalized task within the same stage will get called. So to do this, I need them all in the same plan. I'm losing out on the ability to do parrallel tasks, but this is more important for the process. Oh well.

Thanks. That saved me from a very large headache. :)

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2013

Sounds like you need to make the 10th task a finalising task. You can do that from the task configuration page.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events