Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice - Server Configuration for Bitbucket, Bamboo & Jira

MGervais_Walkers January 31, 2019

We currently have an existing on-prem instance of Jira Software running and I have been asked to investigate migrating our existing TFS instance to a Bitbucket/Bamboo setup.

My question is this - what is the best practice for this setup in terms of servers? Is it wise to have all 3 of these applications running on the same server and if so, what should the minimum specifications be? Keep in mind that we do not have a large team and I am trying to avoid requisitioning more rack space/servers if we really do not need them.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2019

Hi @MGervais_Walkers

there is not a definitive answer here (no official recomandation by Atlassian), but I personnaly think, by experience, that it's better to not have that many services running on the same host as it can lead to:

• performance issues being hard to investigate, as many services means many potential sources of problems
  • at least separate the database server from the application server, as they tend to have different needs in terms of ressources (Java applications like Jira will need more RAM, whereas databases will need more storage performance)
  • it will also depends on how many users you have on each platform. For example if you have 500 users on Jira but only 25 on Bamboo, it's best to "isolate" your Jira application on a different server so your Bamboo performance is not affected by Jira workload

Let me know if you have any questions, 

--Alexis

MGervais_Walkers February 1, 2019

Hi @Alexis Robert

Thanks for the response and, I agree with your assessment. I think it would be best if we kept some separation between Jira and the other server systems.

Thanks.

Marc.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events