Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo script task puts "/bin" in front of $PATH and causes problems.

Samuel Santiago
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 5, 2019

I am using Bamboo 6.4.  I inserted a Script task to compile my project.  But due to the fact that "/bin" is inserted in front of the $PATH the wrong g++ / gcc compiler is used and generated errors.  I have installed gcc devtoolset-7 and want to use that version of the compiler. 

Is this expected behavior of the Script task - insert /bin in front of the $PATH.

To fix this issue, I had to insert this in the Inline Script Body:

#!/bin/bash
# Bamboo for some reason pust /bin first in PATH, therefore wrong g++ compile used.
# Therefore, have to put path to proper devtoolset first here.
export PATH=/opt/rh/devtoolset-7/root/usr/bin:$PATH:.

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2019

Hi @Samuel Santiago

According to my recent tests Bamboo will not deliberately add the /bin folder in your path. I did notice that a remote agent may add the JAVA path to the PATH variable which probably would not be an issue for you.

The PATH and other variables will be inherited as described below:

• CASE 1 - local agents
    They are only different threads and will have the same set of variables available in the parent process who started the Bamboo server.
  • CASE 2 - remote agents
    They are a different process and will get the variables from the parent process starting the agent.
    ⚠️Keep in mind that if your agent starts as a service it will get the variables available for the user starting that service.

What I would check:

1. Are you running this build in a remote agent?
  2. Do you get a different result when using a different agent?
  3. If you start an agent from the terminal (not as a service) and the PATH is correctly set, do you get any changes when the script runs in Bamboo?
    For this one, you need to make sure you restart your agent when you change the variable.

I'll wait for your comments.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events