Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autofill field 'customer' for child issues, if epic has 'customer' field filled

Mohsin Khan June 9, 2022

I am looking for an automation that can help cascade the 'customer' field value to all the child issues once this field is filled in an epic. Also if an epic has 'customer' field filled, any child issues created should have the same customer field henceforth. I went through the options available in the JIRA automation, however this does not seem to be a simple one. Please assist. 

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2022

Hi Mohsin!

What kind of field is your 'customer' field? Is it an user field? A text or email field?

@Bill Sheboy previously offered an answer that is very similar to your request:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Copy-field-value-from-Epic-to-child-issue-with-automation/qaq-p/1421943#M175455

To quote him:

• trigger: field changes
  • condition: issue type is epic
  • branch: on the epic's child issues
    • action: edit the field, copying from the trigger issue

You would just need to specify the 'customer' field is the one you're triggering off of.

If you have problems, it's best to take a screenshot of your rule and add it here.

Dan Tombs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2022

Hi @Mohsin Khan

@Darryl Leeanswer is perfect for this. When you update that field branch for epic children and edit the field using the value from the trigger.

Dan

Mohsin Khan June 10, 2022

Will this work? I created automation based on above instruction:

Capture.PNG

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2022

That looks right to me. Did you test it? 

The other thing you might want to do is decide whether it should be scoped to a single project, multiple projects, or to all projects. You would set that in the Rule details, and if you select multiple or all projects, you may be limited by the number of rule executions based on your plan type:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/explore-jira-cloud-plans/

Mohsin Khan June 12, 2022

Hello Darryl. It works wonders for me. Thanks ever so much. Just one help. Currently it is working only on any stories that I create under the epic. But I want it to work on even sub-tasks that I create under my stories. What change should I make to the branch rule? In other words, when a customer is updated at epic level, it should get updated on all stories below epic. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events