cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation and Legacy Automation

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2020

Let me start by saying I love automation!  I think it's great.  I love thee simple ones that assign an issue automatically, I love the complicated ones that fire off tasks to a different desk, sub tasks on the current desk, and completion of a thousand different custom fields.  I just love automation!

That being said, I didn't love what Atlassian are now terming 'Legacy Automation' - I liked it, of course, but I didn't love it.  It was clunky, and often didn't do quite what I needed.

Since Automation for Jira (then Project automation, now just Automation) came into the Atlassian family things have been much easier.  I wanted to share just one example of how Automation has improved things at our company, so that anyone from the Automation team who sees this can know they're appreciated and so that anyone who uses Automation looks at this and thinks 'I'll go see what Automation can do for my team'.  I'm also hoping others will share their own use cases, which might give me ideas in my mission to automate everything!

Background: Ok, so one of our teams has SLAs - the manager of that team wants to be notified if an SLA goes more than 24 hours overdue, and their manager wants to be notified if an SLA goes more than 48 hours overdue.  They told me of their requirements a little while ago, and I instantly thought about the new SLAs I'd need (they have a lot of different ones and I knew I'd need to build each one twice more adding either 24h or 48h to it), and the way the internal comment would need to be worded - and I immediately shelved it until I had time to fully carry out their requirements.  

Solution: I've recently been asked again to do it, and having looked at Automation I thought I would delve back in and see what it could do for me.  A few clicks later I had the following:

image.png

It was just so simple, and perfectly fitted what was needed.  I'm happy, the managers are happy, the company is happy!

So, tell me all about your Automation successes...

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events