Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira/Confluence Cloud to Cloud migration - questions on issue key and link retention.

Scott Lang July 8, 2024

Hi,

My organization currently has two Atlassian sites:

• myCompany.atlassian.net
  • ourCorporateParent.atlassian.net

We would like to consolidate these sites into one (ourCorporateParent.atlassian.net).

To do so, we would obviously need to move all of our Jira Projects and Confluence Spaces from "myCompany" to "ourCorporateParent"). I've taken a look at the cloud migration help documents I've been able to find, but a couple of items are still unclear to me.

1. When migrating a Jira project cloud to cloud, are the issues duplicated or moved?
    1. That is, if "myProject" has a ticket "PROJ-1234" in the old instance, and this is migrated to the new instance, will the ticket still exist in the old instance?
    2. For context, this is primarily a concern for backup/redundancy reasons in case of unexpected migration issues.
  2. When migrating a Jira project cloud to cloud, are issue keys retained?
    1. If "myProjectOld" has a issue "PROJ-1234" which is migrated into "myProjectNew," will the new issue still have key "PROJ-1234"?
  3. Are URLs modified, beyond the subdomain?
    1. For example, an external link to an issue/dashboard/project/confluence space/page would have been myCompany.atlassian.net/UNIQUEURL. Will the new url for this item be guaranteed to be ourCorporateParent.atlassian.net/UNIQUEURL?
  4. Are links to the old site forwarded?
    1. If external links are not updated, will they land on a 404 or similar page, or will they be forwarded to the new address?

Thank you for any insight!

4 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nitesh Kumar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2024

Hi @Scott Lang ,

I am Nitesh from Atlassian Migration Team and I am Glad to hear about your upcoming migration!

Please find answers to your questions below.

1. When migrating a Jira project cloud to cloud, are the issues duplicated or moved?
    1. That is, if "myProject" has a ticket "PROJ-1234" in the old instance, and this is migrated to the new instance, will the ticket still exist in the old instance?
    2. For context, this is primarily a concern for backup/redundancy reasons in case of unexpected migration issues.

Answer: Yes, As rightly mentioned by @Robert Wen_Cprime_ after you perform the migration of projects/issues from Source Cloud Site to Destination Cloud Site, all the data in your source site remains intact.

1. When migrating a Jira project cloud to cloud, are issue keys retained?
    1. If "myProjectOld" has a issue "PROJ-1234" which is migrated into "myProjectNew," will the new issue still have key "PROJ-1234"?

Answer: Yes, after the migration the issue-key will be copied as it is from source to Destination Site. So you can access them in the destination Cloud Site with same issue-key

1. Are URLs modified, beyond the subdomain?
    1. For example, an external link to an issue/dashboard/project/confluence space/page would have been myCompany.atlassian.net/UNIQUEURL. Will the new url for this item be guaranteed to be ourCorporateParent.atlassian.net/UNIQUEURL?
  2. Are links to the old site forwarded?
    1. If external links are not updated, will they land on a 404 or similar page, or will they be forwarded to the new address?

Answer: I would like to inform you that after migrating Jira or Confluence from one Cloud  to Another Cloud instance, some URLs in the recently migrated products might appear broken as they still point at the source Cloud instance. This includes any links between individual entities in the migrated Atlassian products, for example:

• Remote links between Jira issues or Confluence pages

• Links to attachments

• Links pasted by users as URLs into comments or pages

We acknowledge this concern and felt the necessity of improvement in this area for which we already have a open feature request with our product team.

In this case, after you finish the production migration, please create a Support Ticket with our Migration Team and we will assist you in fixing such links in your destination Cloud Site.

I hope above answers are helpful to you!

Kind Regards,

Nitesh Kumar

Scott Lang July 15, 2024

Thank you Nitesh! I believe this answers all of the questions I have at the moment.

0 votes
Krista Stellar July 9, 2024

To be clear, can you say more about item #4?

In particular, what kind of external links?

The response below related to links assumed you meant links between Jira issues and Confluence pages, and there is a path forward to make sure those get updated so they resolved to use the destination cloud site URL.

But, if you mean browser bookmarks or Jira issue or Confluence page links that are saved in emails or apps external to Atlassian tools then the answer is no, those links will still navigate to the existing, current cloud site. As far as I know there is no redirect for those links.

Scott Lang July 15, 2024

Thank you Krista - I was referring more to the latter, I wasn't sure if there was a re-direct. It's not an insurmountable problem, but I wanted to double check.

0 votes
Daria Kulikova July 9, 2024

Hello @Scott Lang  and welcome to the Atlassian Community! 

You may find this information about the Jira Cloud to Cloud migration useful: https://gitprotect.io/use-cases/jira-data-migration-and-management.html

0 votes
Robert Wen_Cprime_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2024

Hi @Scott Lang ! Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I have experience with questions 1 and 2 so I'll answer them here.

1. They are duplicated from old project to new project.  The information will still be resident on your old site.

2. The Issue keys will be retained.

Scott Lang July 15, 2024

Thank you Robert!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events