Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud trial and testing migration - So frustrating!

Troy Kenah June 27, 2024

I would expect more from Atlassian.

I first began testing migration after signing up selecting a paid plan. After addressing several migration issues I got to the point where my testing allowed me to seamlessly migrate my site. Yay!

Great, now let me reset my Jira, Users (over 8,000) and Groups and I'll perform my live migration - after all the testing, the data, including users and groups, is a bit messy.

This is where it all goes pear-shaped. You can't reset your site, bulk delete users or groups.

As recommended, I attempted to restore my Jira from a new cloud trial site backup I performed. It all seemed to go as guided, but all my existing projects etc are still there. I can't actually see what has changed. 

I can't bulk delete users without an app that I need to pay for (and with over 8,000 users) this is a very expensive process.

Event the "Choose migration stage" during the test migration is misleading, the options are "Production migration stage" or "Testing stage" - which doesn't actually do anything.

I'm not quite sure what to do, maybe I should cancel my account and start again.

Has anyone else been in this position? If so, what did you do?

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dylan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2024

Hi @Troy Kenah

Our recommended approach for test migrations is to spin up a Sandbox and set it as your destination. They can be deleted and refreshed pretty much instantly and built for purpose, you should be able to trial Premium on your cloud migration site for a couple weeks to get access to the feature.

We've got a lot of safety measures in place on non-sandbox sites (like delayed deletion and confirmations etc) to prevent customers from accidentally deleting their prod data. You'd be surprised how often we are asked for help recovering them.

That said, you can still delete data on your site you may just need to wait as the full dunning process is completed (it's usually 14 days post deactivation, but could be longer depending where in the billing cycle). 

Check the cloud migration trial specific instructions in the expands on this page here for more information on site resets - you will need to make sure all products and orgs under the site are deleted in order to remove the userbase.

If all else fails, feel free to reach out to our migrations support team here.

Cheers,

Dylan

Troy Kenah July 2, 2024

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for your detailed reply. There are some great resources an excellent support available, it's just a shame these issues don't become apparent until you get stuck. 

I did reach our the migrations support and they've helped me. I'm now at a point where we're just testing the process from end to end.

The only issue I'm really stuck with is not being able to bulk delete users without an expensive add-on. 

Thanks again, Dylan.

Troy.

Like Dylan likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events