Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I just migrate a single project?

Malin Rathjen February 10, 2022

Hi there, 

currently my company ist working with Jira Cloud. I was wondering if it's possible to only export/migrate one single project to another Jira Cloud instance? And how that would be done best.

Thanks for your advices and experiences. 

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2022

Hi @Malin Rathjen

Good day. Welcome to the Atlassian community, We understand that your team is currently on a cloud site and would like to migrate one project from your cloud site to another cloud site. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. 

Please be informed that we have a Tool in Beta version which could help you with a Single project Cloud to Cloud Migration. More information can be found on below document

Kindly note that currently the Migration of the Jira Service Management project, Next-gen projects are not supported. To understand the full list of entities that are migrated and not, refer to the below document:

Other options available can be found in below resource

Hope the above information helps.

Cheers,
Sri Kumar
Migration support | Atlassian

Malin Rathjen February 14, 2022

Hi @Sri Kumar ,

thanks for your answer and your input. That helped me. I've got just one concern left that I could not figure out in the articles/sites you linked:

- How will the users and groups be migrated, if I only want to migrate one single project? Will all users from the whole Jira instance be migrated or only the one from the single project?

Thanks in advance. 

Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2022

Hi @Malin Rathjen ,

Since the Tools is still in Beta Version, It is expected to migrate all the users from one site to another. The same information can be found in below resource

We can expect this to change in the future, but we don't have an ETA for the same.

Let us know if the above information helps.

Cheers,
Sri Kumar
Migration support | Atlassian

Hi @Sri Kumar ,

so if I do a cloud-to-cloud migration at the moment from Jira instance A to Jira instance B all users from instance A would appear in the User Management section of Instance B? But they do not have immediate product access after the migration again and are not counting towards my licenses until I grant them product access again for instance B, right?

Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2022

Hi @Malin Rathjen,

Yes, your understanding of the Product access is correct. you can manage/ Remove/ deactivate the unwanted users on the destination cloud after migration. 

Cheers,
Sri Kumar

@Sri Kumar Great, thanks again for your help!

Malin Rathjen February 16, 2022

@Sri Kumar There is one final question left, you hopefully can help me further with. 

When I read through the documentation you provided me with it says that the data is copied from the jira cloud instance. So the migration process does not delete/remove any data (users/projects) from jira instances, right? 

Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 16, 2022

Hi @Malin Rathjen ,

Yes, Your understanding is correct, The Migration copies data from one site to other and will not delete/remove the data from the source site. 

Cheers,
Sri Kumar

Like Malin Rathjen likes this
1 vote
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2022

Hi @Malin Rathjen ,

You can do that through an export and import process. Here an how-to guide https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/export-issues/

Hope this helps,

Fabio 

0 votes
Arantxa Blazquez February 10, 2022
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events