Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I do a test or incremental migration?

System Administrator
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2024

If I do a migration using the built in assistant is that it?  What happens if I run the same migration again?  I'm trying to figure out whether I can test the process to see if everything gets migrated properly but I can't tell if I'll be able to update what I've migrated with changes from the source later.

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rune Rasmussen January 5, 2024

You can't do incremental migrations like that.
At least you couldn't six months ago when I used it last.

What we did back then was to just set up a couple of new test sites for the initial migration tests.

Alternatively you'd have to delete the migrated Projects/Spaces in between each test.

System Administrator
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2024

That's a shame, it would really help.  Hopefully I can find a dormant project or two and run tests with those.

Thank you.

1 vote
vthomas9 January 5, 2024

Hi -

We finished our migration from Jira/Conf Server to the Cloud in early December.  We started doing test migrations in October using the JCMA and CCMA tools provided by Atlassian.  First, we started with a small set of data, e.g., a test Jira project and a test Conf space and started building our run book.

I manually deleted the test data since it was not a big effort before running a full data load test.  To reset the cloud instance after a full data load, I used the steps Atlassian provides to reset a cloud instance.

It was useful to run test migrations to prep for our production cutover. I ran these after hours to avoid any potential prod impacts. 

The Prod cutover went smoothly. We have relatively less complex migration with one add-on, whose vendor supported a server to cloud data migration. 

Atlassian support was excellent. 

Best,

Virginia T.

System Administrator
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2024

We only have a very small on-premise instance so I don't get any support.  I also have a lot of trouble locating useful information in Atlassian's instructions.  I don't suppose you could point out where "the steps Atlassian provides to reset a cloud instance" is?

vthomas9 January 5, 2024

@System Administrator 

First off, do you have a Cloud sandbox? The Jira and Conf Cloud Premium products provide a sandbox. 

I migrated both Jira and Conf Server to the Cloud; however, we only  had a sandbox for Jira cloud, not Confluence Cloud.  For this reason I opted to run test migrations into our Jira and Conf Cloud instances.  

Here's the Atlassian docs on resetting a Cloud site.

I ran test migrations using the Assistant tools (JCMA and CCMA) provided by Atlassian. And concurrently read their migration docs

I also posted questions on the migration forum.  

Best,

Virginia T

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events