Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-Managed User security enforcement.

Mike Bell June 6, 2024

Hi Everyone.

I have read multiple articles and messages boards prior to 2024. I am wondering if, as of today June 6th 2024, has there been any progress made in the ability to enforce security restrictions on non-managed external user accounts in Atlassian Access?

I have 70% of my users managed via OKTA, but the other 30% are external users. I always fear that some of these 30% folks are using Password123 as their passwords and I can do nothing about it... No ability to apply password restrictions or enforce 2FA.

Can anyone please tell me that there is some way to enforce some security for external non-managed users? I've seen requests for this going back to 2019. If this is not a priority for Atlassian it may be the proverbial last straw for my security team. 

Thanks for your help and also letting me vent.

Mike

1 answer

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2024

Yes, you are able to set authentication policies for external users that are not synced from an identity provider, and it allows you to force two-step verification, password requirements, etc. Check out this KB about authentication policies for more information.

Mike Bell June 6, 2024

Hi Mikael:

Thanks for the reply. I've looked into this previously. Authentication policies will only allow you to add managed accounts... at least that is what I see in my ORG. No account from the "local directory" show up when I type it in.

Screenshot 2024-06-06 105015.png

Please let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2024

You might still be on the "old" user management interface, I just checked my instance and the invite users screen looks totally different and it allows you to enter external users, not just managed ones. 

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events