Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent closing an Epic until all its tasks are completed in Jira cloud

I was asked by one of our customers to help them find a way, how to add special validator to their workflow in Jira cloud - they needed to check, whether all the tasks in Epic are done, before it can be closed too.

After a little bit googling I found out this can be done via Jira Expressions.

With Jira Expressions you have basically two options:

• build your own forge app
  • install some application, which enables you to add Jira Expressions validators

I didn’t want to build an app for this one specific use-case and I also didn’t want to force our customer to buy complex application like ScriptRunner or JWT.

Then my colleague @Jozef Kotlár (thank you!) suggested to try Workflow Building Blocks for Jira. Normally I don't consider such solutions (apps without reviews and with only a few installs), but I gave it a go... and I was suprised how easily I achieved what I wanted:

1. I edited my workflow for Epic and selected Linked Issues Validator (WBB) at the Validators tab
  2. At the Children tab I selected I want to have children in the status category Done, which generated Jira expressionval.png
  3. I also used validator tester on several Epics to check the resultsval_fail.png
  4. I added validator to the workflow.val_added.png

Done! Easy, no-code...

Application is free right now and has a lot more possibilities related to workflow conditions and validators, see the documentation.

(Please, be aware I'm not in touch with the vendor of the application, I was just happy to find the solution for the problem!)

1 comment

Comment

Floating electron
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2024

Thank you so much for taking the time to write the article. We really appreciate your writing style and the effort you put into it. We are thrilled to hear that it helped you meet your customer requirements.

Cheers!

Forgappify Team

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events