Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the JIRA Server add-on development documentation such a ridiculously useless mess?

Lindsey Baron August 10, 2016

From what I've gathered over the past few days, the standards for add-on development seem to change with every version of JIRA. The documentation rarely (if ever) makes it clear which version it's addressing, and sometimes I feel like each page is talking about a different version. I've followed at least 3 tutorials, and I've had to Google solutions to problems for each one, because I can't find answers from Atlassian documentation directly. If Atlassian isn't going to keep the documentation up to date, could we at least get some clear indicators of which doc pages apply to which versions? So I can stop wasting time following the documentation, just to realize from some thread on StackOverflow that the documentation is completely wrong, and has been since 2013?

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2016

The titanic had smaller holes than some of the API documentation, i can only agree. Some functions in the API both have misleading and directly wrong example code.

0 votes
Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2016

If you're familiar with maven and spring development it's really not too bad. I will totally jump on board with you though, the documentation can be misleading at best sometimes.

If you have specific questions I'm sure you can get some answers here.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events