Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to migrate / upgrade SQL DB for Confluence 5.1.3 to 5.6.1.

Ahmad Awadallah December 16, 2014

Hi,

I have a SQL DB from Confluence 5.1.3.  I made a backup and restored it to a different SQL Server (same version) but I need to upgrade it to Confluence 5.6.1.  I already have Confluence 5.6.1 setup but just need to bring the DB from the older version to upgrade it to the newer version.  The DB is over 20 GB so the XML will not be an option.  My understanding is there are steps/procedure to do this but I can't seem to find the doc.  Can anyone find the doc for this?  I hear the upgrade of the DB will take some time.  Any tips or tricks I should know of?

Thank you!

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2014

It's covered by the standard documentation at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Upgrading+Confluence

Basically, take a backup of installation and database, run the installer, point it at the current installation and let it run.  There's a bit more to it, but it's all in the doc.

It WILL take a long time.  Depending on what your data actually is.

Ahmad Awadallah December 16, 2014

Thank you for the response. Both of my old and new Confluence are on Linux. I already have my new Confluence installation setup. Do I still use the installer to upgrade the DB? I heard there is a separate utility for upgrading the DB.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2014

I've no idea where you might have heard that because it's wrong. The *only* upgrade process available is built into the application. The installer runs an upgrade. If you've already built a new Confluence and have no data in it, then you can stop it, restore the database, and start it - it will spot the old data version and run the upgrade.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2014

Oh, I forgot, even when you import the XML from an old version, it loads the data and runs the upgrades.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events