Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing stash source into eclipse

Michael Schnupp January 21, 2014

I would like to read the stash source code and would really like to use the eclipse features to navigate in the code.

Unfortunately I did not manage to successfully import the code into eclipse.

I have eclipse with maven plugin installed. I tried to import the stash-parent project as an "existing maven project", but eclipse was not able to resolve all maven dependencies. (For example `lesscss-maven-plugin:1.5.1:compile` and `maven-assembly-plugin:2.2:single` complain about "No marketplace entries found to handle ... in Eclipse".)

I also tried to set the maven3 installation provided by the stash sources in eclipse and copied the settings.xml into that maven3 installation to allow eclipse to use it.

Unfortunately this did not help. Also setting `localrepo` as a local repo in settings.xml did not help.

What is the correct way to enable me to browse the stash source code with eclipse?

PS: Building stash from command line works fine.

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Schnupp January 27, 2014

The maven support in eclipse seems to be not compatible with the stash source.

Intellij IDEA works fine out of the box.

0 votes
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2014

Hi Michael,

The way we make our source distribution is automated, and is targetted to build from maven. There really isn't a correct way to load into Eclipse. I might recommend trying to remove any maven plugin that Eclipse is unable to find and see if that helps.

Cheers,

Charles

Michael Schnupp January 22, 2014

In the documentation it is written "to develop Stash in your IDE create a new project from the stash-parent/pom.xml". What kind of IDE does the documentation refer to if eclipse is not supported? It is fine to build the code using maven, but there really should be a good way to navigate (and maybe edit) the code before building. Without IDE support it is really a pain to understand complex inherience situations.

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2014

Hi Michael,

It might be referring to IDEA, as that is what the majority of developers use at Atlassian. I'm afraid I couldn't say though.

Looking again now those plugins should actually be available externally, if you're using the Atlassian SDK Maven to build it's probably using it's own settings.xml. If you can the following 'public' repository to Eclipse that may fix the error you're seeing:

https://maven.atlassian.com/content/repositories/public/

Cheers,

Charles

Michael Schnupp January 22, 2014

Well, the build script calls

M2_HOME="$PWD/maven3/apache-maven-3.0.5" PATH=$M2_HOME/bin:$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m" mvn clean install -f "stash-parent/pom.xml" -Pfull -Dmaven.test.skip -s $SETTINGSFILE -Dmaven.repo.local="`pwd`/$LOCALREPO"

which runs fine and is able to resolve all depenencies. This explicitly specifies the maven installation, the settings file and the local repository.

I was hoping to resemble this in eclipse, but didn't manage to do so. I was hoping someone else already was working with that stash code before and could give me a hint. Maybe supporting something like `mvn eclipse:eclipse` would be fine. (but this seems not to work either.)

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2014

Hi Michael,

I suspect my maven repository may be seeded, so this might not be a fair example, but the following seemed to work:

mvn -s ../settings.xml -e org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-eclipse-plugin:2.6:eclipse

(I had to use a different version of the eclipse-plugin because of the following)

http://www.inweb.de/chetan/_blog/2010/03/20/mvn-eclipse-request-to-merge-when-filtering-is-not-identical.html

What kind of errors do you see if you run eclipse:eclipse with our settings.xml file?

Cheers,

Charles

Michael Schnupp January 27, 2014

IDEA works quite fine. Maybe you should point that out in the mentioned documentation.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events