How can I solve a conflict in a pull request?

Suppose I have two branches, master and release/2.0, and I want to merge the release branch into master.

I do a pull request to merge release/2.0 to master, but, after the pull request has been done, I discover that there is a conflict (for example, application's version within the main POM).

How can I solve the conflict? Is the previous one (direct pull request in BitBucket) the right approach, or I have to perform the merge in my local environment and then make the pull request? In this case, which are the steps to perform?

Thanks in advance.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 votes

You have two options to resolve the conflict:

1) Resolve them without a pull request.

To do this, you would checkout the master branch, and then pull in the release branch. This is effectively the solution that Bitbucket Server give you when you ask for more information on how to solve the conflict.

git checkout master
git pull origin release/2
<resolve merge conflicts>
git push

2) Resolve them with a pull request

To do this, you would create a branch off the tip of master, pull in the release branch and create a pull request from that branch to master. This is the best option if you don't have permission to push directly to master.

git checkout master
git checkout -b resolve-conflicts-branch
git pull origin release/2
<resolve merge conflicts>
git push -u origin resolve-conflicts-branch
<create pull request>

Note: Once you have resolve the conflicts through either of these methods, your old pull request from release/2 to master will be closed automatically since there will no longer be any diff.

The second solution is fine for me.

perform the merge in reverse locally, merging master into release/2

git checkout release/2
git merge master

then manually resolve any conflicts, commit and push

git commit
git push

Your pull request should automatically update itself to the new commit and there are no longer any conflicts (because you just resolved them all)

BETTER YET

You could also use a rebase instead of a merge.  This gives a cleaner look to your history, at the cost of a little bit of historical accuracy.  Many people think that's a good deal.

git checkout release/2
git rebase master
<resolve conflicts manually>
git push

As before, your Pull Request should now be mergeable

Hi @Tim Crall,

I need to merge the release branch into master; does your solution do the opposite?

It does the opposite locally as a means of resolving the conflicts between them.  It then uses the Pull Request to do the actual merge in the correct direction.

When you push onto release/2 you are have effectively merged master into release/2. This is not what you want to do if you would like your release branch to not contain all the commits that exist on master.

True.  I was kind of assuming you'd be deleting the release branch after merging it into master.  

In GitFlow branching strategy, a release branch should usually be deleted (or at least abandoned) after the release was finalized, which is when you would merge it back into master.

We've developed a plugin, Power Editor for Bitbucket, that allows you to resolve conflicts on a pull request in the UI. You won't need to go through any of the git commands anymore smile (even though we highly recommend you learn them, they can be quite useful). You can check out out here.

It also supports:

• Adding, renaming and deleting files
  • Editor extensions like preview, view diff and tab and space controls.
  • Editing functionality in pull requests to quickly fix typos in files.
  • Full support for hooks.

Suggest an answer

Stay in touch

Be the first to know what's trending on Atlassian Community