Community release notes for February 12th, 2024

It’s the month of love so we’re sending everyone chocolate shipping several updates that show our love for members of the Atlassian Community!

chocolate.gif

New

CC24.png

Love is in the air and we are basking in it with the return of Community Cupid! 💘 On February 14th, no matter where you are in the world, you can earn a festive one-day-only badge by liking posts & comments, or by sending Kudos to other members of the community! The Community Cupid challenge is repeatable up to 100 times (!). There are additional incentives for Community Leaders and special prizes for any Cupids who earn the badge 100 times. @PJ Zaiac shared all the info you need to participate in this announcement in the Community Contests & Kudos group.

Updated

Do you pay attention to the details? If so, you may have noticed an inconsistency with timestamps in the notification feed. In this release we made an update to uniformity. Now, regardless of content type, all timestamps in the notification feed display in Month DD, YYYY format.

Improved

The Bevy connection with Kudos was improved to deliver enhanced reliability. Previously, if an issue processing the action (i.e. attending an ACE event) occurred the action would not be sent. Now, if an issue occurs we can catch and reprocess to ensure you receive credit in Kudos! This is important because we recently launched earning badges for ACE events!

We will have an off-cycle release on February 15th, 2024 with the following update:

With the conclusion of Server support on February 15th We are changing the wording from server to data center for tags and the question, discussion, and article flow. This will keep content categorized correctly.

Read more about the conclusion of Server support here.

And now you're updated with the latest happenings behind the scenes! Let us know if you have any questions below. 👇

7 comments

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2024

Thanks @Janice.

Love IS in the details.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2024

Thanks for the updates @Janice!

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2024

Thanks, @Janice 

For the changes to the notification feed, those are quite helpful!  What do the date / time values represent, as I notice some in the feed do not appear to be in increasing ordering? 

My hypothesis is the values are different sources (e.g., change time, original post time, etc.) based on the different notification types: mentions, likes, replies, votes, accepted, etc.

For examples, I highlighted some from my feed which do not show in increasing order.

Screenshot 2024-02-13 082022.png

Like # people like this
Janice
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 13, 2024

@Bill Sheboy So glad you brought this to our attention! I don't have the answer myself but I'll share this with the developer who worked on updating notification timestamps and see if there is an explanation or if maybe this isn't intended and needs a tweak. Will report back!

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2024

Thank you, @Janice . 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2024

Thanks @Janice!  This is a "lovely" update.

Like # people like this
Jessica Zeng
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2024

Hi, thank you @Bill Sheboy @Janice, and everyone else! I’m an engineer on the Community team looking into issues with the notification feed 👋 There are a couple of tricky issues with it that have slipped our detection, so appreciate you bringing this up — good eye!

The date and time values should represent when the activity happened (eg. the time a user commented, liked a post, or mentioned another user).

Quick explanation of the issues happening:

• For each user, the server returns a list of notifications that the user has received. When displaying them, there’s additional processing, and the correct notification info and timestamp aren’t always fetched. (You’re correct that there are different notification types, with each being processed differently.) This bug exists for 1) comments/replies and 2) mentions where the comment was edited afterwards to mention a user. (Case #2 is rarer, but can be observed for the first notification in your screenshot.)
  • Users shouldn’t be getting notified of their own comments on posts they’re watching. These notifications should actually be for other users’ replies — a display issue.
  • Due to the issues above, notifications have a chance of appearing out of order in the feed (ie. not showing most recent activity first).

Problems with the notification feed have existed for a while; with the update to consistently render timestamps, these particular issues were exposed and made noticeable.

We’re planning another update soon that should hopefully fix the vast majority of timestamp issues for the notification feed. Thank you again for helping us make Community better! 🙏

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events