Shared Sprints - a good thing

Deb Sohrweide May 11, 2020

We used to use Jira on the server - and had release management controlling sprints - to start and stop them across the board.

We could see all the work done across all the teams and projects under one sprint, and it was easy to work through

with separated sprints for project only - now every project must manager their own sprints - and they are not getting started or stopped on schedule.

Is there anyway we could us single set of sprints again and have them show on all backlog scrum boards?

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Manoj Jain May 13, 2020

@Deb Sohrweide - I tried to understand your query and wondering if you can share some more details.

If I get you right then you may try creating a JQL which lists all open sprint using "sprint in openSprints()" and have a two dimensional summary on dashboard. This way you'll get to know sprints which are not getting either started or stopped on time and follow-up accordingly.

Also, as this is related to discipline of teams, I would suggest them to educate then find a way to force something. You may have a way to start/stop a sprint but then you may run into issue of tickets not being updated on time.

Deb Sohrweide May 13, 2020

I am not worried about which ones are not started or stopped myself.

The problem is the entire company is working on the same sprint schedule - so every time every project needs to create them name them, start them etc..  and this is duplicated work across numerous projects - where in if we could create Global sprints - that spanned and showed on all project backlogs - we could see in this two weeks what is being worked on - the boards already filter for the teams and projects - so we get the views we want already.
our team boards could show 12 or more sprints for the current sprint - due to the projects all having their own - and this gets very annoying.  If the members of that team are working across the projects (which happens often).   So if we were able to have global sprints - we could still see the sprint and just see one for everything happening and rely on team and project filters to display the contents correctly - and we could create a global board - to know everything being worked on in this sprint and backlog across the entire company - in stead of grouping and association sprints - hopefully all manually created with a naming convention across the projects.

Manoj Jain May 13, 2020

Got it @Deb Sohrweide and I don't think there is any way to have a global sprint across projects. Will look forward for any response(s) in case there is way.

If that doesn't work then creating sprints across projects via API may be a feasible option to explore.

What APIs would be used to create sprints? Can the APIs assign the sprint to the multiple projects?  great if you can share more information about that.

Still seems like the API ties the sprint to a single board (or project) - not a way to link it to multiple ones at once - so even when empty it would show on all the different scrum boards

Manoj Jain May 14, 2020

Yes, that's correct and it replicates what's available via GUI.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events