Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i close a sprint if my story isn't complete yet?

Ziv Ginsberg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 26, 2022

I've created an epic which contain a story.

That story was broken down into sub-tasks.

I'm wondering, can assign only some sub-tasks to a sprint?

Can i close a sprint with some sub-tasks of a story aren't completed?

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2022

Hi @Ziv Ginsberg , welcome to the community.

It is worth noting that sprints are intended to be commitments of work that can and will be done within the allotted Sprint window. It is also important to note that a story committed to a sprint should be completed entirely. Meaning, if you break a story into 10 subtasks all of those subtask should be done during the sprint. With that said, life happens and sometimes items don't get complete. You most certainly can complete a sprint and should, even if there are unresolved tasks at the end of the allotted window. Any unfinished work is pushed back to the backlog. One downside stories with incomplete sub-tasks is that the entire story and sb-tasks move back to the backlog even those sub-tasks that were completed.

Philipp Barry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2022

Great reply!

I would just like to add that it is important for the Jira Align/Jira Integration to move the incomplete Stories into the Backlog (as mentioned) and not directly into another sprint. If the team would like to keep working on the Story in the next sprint, move it into the Backlog first and from there into the next sprint.

Like Ziv Ginsberg likes this
Ziv Ginsberg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 28, 2022

Thanks for the answers! i appreciate it!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events