Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agile question and Jira

Federico M. February 21, 2018

Hi Team,

I have a question regarding best practices. We are a team who receives many requests to create small applications that usually take 2 to 5 weeks. We are using Jira Software to handle that into 3 weeks sprint. We capture this request into 1 story, which is the reference for that small application. Now if the app will take more than the sprint itself, what is the best practice, just clone that story so that it fits within the sprint? but if we do so, I will have many stories related to that app, I just would like to have 1 specif reference so I can know, for example, how many applications where requested. I guess the solution would be creating an epic, but then we would have many and reporting would be cumbersome (on top of the fact that many apps can really be created in 1 sprint).

Perhaps using service desk is the solution and having one issue from SD as the actual reference, but I'd prefer staying fully in Jira software. 

Any advise on this? Thank you!

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2018

Dear @Federico M.,

first of all, you make "one app" = "one story". The definition of a story can be best explained with the "I N V E S T" model:

I = Independent from other stories

N = negotiable - not a fixed contract

V = of value

E = estimatable, small enough to give a good estimation

S = small, yo can noting cut of anymore

T = Testable

So what you do is not really the best. I recommend to create for "one app" as many stories as necessary. Make them so small, that they can easily be covered by a team in one sprint. Then you will never have to shift them elsewhere. 

If you want to avoid using epics to group them, you can use labels or components. Or you just introduce your own issue type "App" and make issue links to the stories. 

So long

Thomas

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events