Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make Parent Link/Parent mandatory for new issue type in a specific hierarchy?

Shiri Feldman March 6, 2024

I am looking for guidance on how to define a parent link/parent as mandatory when creating a new issue type? Specifically, I'm looking for a way to enforce tat users cannot create an issue without associating it with a parent issue within the hierarchy. 
Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Irina Mosina _TechTime_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2024

Hi @Shiri Feldman 

Such a common request and a good sign of an organisation that understands the value of aligning the plan with the delivery. 

You have a couple of options here. 

1. First, you can add a Parent Link field to the Create Screen for all the issue types that need to be linked up. This means that the screen scheme / screens for your top-level Issue need to be separated. This assumes that all parent issues were already created and are in place. If they are not, this can quickly become a bottleneck. 

2. If you would prefer to keep it lighter on the scheme configuration side, then you can add a validator on a transition to the relevant workflow state when you need to start including the deliverables in your reporting. For example, the team might not know yet what parent to link when low-level issues are in Backlog or Analysis, but you need to see them in the high-level plan once it is scheduled for development (in the state Ready for Dev). 

3. You can also create an Automation that for the selected projects and issue types within your project or globally check for the empty Parent Link and create a comment that / notification to the Assignee or the Reporter and reminds them to add a Parent. This implies that empty Parents are more of an exception and that everyone is an adult and understands the value of keeping the hierarchy of work up to date.  

Let me know which option sounds more like your current state and I can explain in more detail how to get there. 

Irina 

Shiri Feldman March 6, 2024

Thanks for the detailed reply @Irina Mosina _TechTime_.
2. What is the validator you mentioned? 
3. Did you mean something like a popup comment?

Thanks again

Irina Mosina _TechTime_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2024

Hi Shiri. 

1. The Validator is something you can add to your workflow and is there to check that all the values you need for the next steps in the workflow. You need to be a Jira admin to add that

2. Automation can add a comment on the issues that be viewed below but will also send an email notification.

Another way to monitor the usage of Parent Link for a mature team is to run a query like the one below and create a simple dashboard based on it: 

Query example for my list of projects and ignoring Initiative as an ultimate issue type, your value might be different of course: 

"Parent Link" is empty and Project in ("Customer Support", "Portfolio Management", "Marketing Service Desk") and type!=initiative ORDER BY updatedDate DESC

Once you've run the search, save it and then you can add a gadget to your Dashbard called Filer Results and keep an eye on it or even create a subscription that can be sent (emailed) to a select group of team leads or managers. 

Irina 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events