Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can Created Date be added to the Fields section of Advanced Roadmaps?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2023

TL;DR - it's not possible

----

I can add start and end dates, of course, but there is a team that would very much like to have created date on their plans.  I see no way to add this field.

Alternatively, if it was possible to filter on created date using JQL or some other option that would also work, but that doesn't seem possible.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2023

@Rob Horan -

For Advanced Roadmap for Jira, you can use "Filter" setup for your plan where the filter will be a saved JQL that you can add "Created" criteria as Issue Source.

Another way, which I believe it may be an over-kill alternative is by creating a custom date/time field that you copied the issue created date into via WF or automation rule at issue creation event.  Afterward, you can add the custom field into your plan.  One main reason that "Created" field is not available in the plan is that it is a locked down system field in Jira/JSM which it is not editable once it is populated.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2023

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin ,

Thank you - I tried to do something like this in Filters > Issue Details 

I grabbed the JQL for issued created in the last week and got no results, even when I had just created a new issue in the plan.  (I had reviewed and accepted changes)

Would you mind showing me an example of how you got it to work?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2023

@Rob Horan -

Sorry that I was not clear on my previous suggestion.  When I mean "Filters" implementation is for your plan's "Issue Source" setup where you can use a save filter to pull in the issue content from your projects.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Best, Joseph

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2023

@Joseph Chung Yin  - ah.  I appreciate that, but it's not going to help.  That would require making a different plan. I need to find a way to sort by creation date and ideally filter on dates.

This is really unfortunate.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2023

@Rob Horan -

Your only option will be what mentioned originally -

Another way, which I believe it may be an over-kill alternative is by creating a custom date/time field that you copied the issue created date into via WF or automation rule at issue creation event.  Afterward, you can add the custom field into your plan. 

For all existing issues in your plan, you will have then back populate the new custom field.

Best, Joseph

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2023

@Joseph Chung Yin that's exactly what that team is doing. 

Automation is not an option at the moment.

This isn't a client, I'm helping someone out, and they don't have any admin privs at all, including project admin.

Also, not cloud, so unsure if automation is even an option.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2023

@Rob Horan -

Thanks for your update (especially the information on the env).  In the server env, you other option will be modify the workflow at issue creation time via post function to populate the custom field.  It is because Automation for Jira (for the server env is a paid add-on.  If the env is Data Center, then it is free)  is a separate add-on to be installed.

For Automation for Jira (automation rule creation), once it is installed, then project admins will be able to create the rule.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Like Rob Horan likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2023

Yeah... I have a number of solutions that would work, but they all assume that an admin will acknowledge and entertain this request, which in this case is highly unlikely. I was hoping to find a solution that a standard Jira user with average access rights could implement. Thank you though!

0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2023

Hi @Rob Horan 

The only way I can think of to achieve this would be to create a custom field.  A date picker, not date and time picker (see: Enable custom fields used in Advanced Roadmaps in Jira | Jira Software Cloud | Atlassian Support )

The get an automation rule to populate it at creation. 

Yes, there is a compromise, because it can only be a date picker there will be no ordering of issues created on the same day.

Otherwise, they can have a saved filter that shows their content "ORDER BY KEY DESC" to achieve that view of the work, but it will not translate into a Plan, as they have their own sort order options, which does not include KEY (or Created)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events