Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you assign story points for Kanban?

ShaneNickersonNeustar July 11, 2019

My team is essentially scrumban and we're looking for ways to estimate scope over time. I read on the Atlassian site that story points are only allowed on Scrum. Has anyone found a work-around on this or a way to address?

Thanks!

2 answers

2 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2019

Hello Shane,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

It is possible to display Story points on the issue cards of a Kanban Board, however, since kanban is based on a continuous workflow structure where changes can happen at any time, it is not possible to effectively estimate issues in Kanban with Story Points.

Basically, your kanban board reports will not estimate your issues in Story points like Scrum or display the Story points available for a specific release since it is not focused on Velocity but in a continuous workflow. Instead, you will be able to measure the Estimation using the time tracking through the release reports in Kanban.

You can have more details about the differences between both Scrum and Kanban in the documentation below:

Kanban Vs Scrum

Additionally, we have created a feature request to implement the Story point estimation for Kanban boards, due to the high number of requests:

As a user, I want to make estimates visible on cards in Kanban board

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Let me know if this information helps.

Joris Vleminckx November 14, 2019

One year has passed since the latest update in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-7265  Time for an update?

Like # people like this
Humayoun Khan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 13, 2020

Will this ticket ever be updated? https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-7265  

Like # people like this
Dennis Kim
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 22, 2021

Any updates?  

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2021

Hey Dennis,

As mentioned before, any new updates will be added to the related feature request:

As a user, I want to make estimates visible on cards in Kanban board

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

1 vote
Joris Vleminckx March 24, 2022

Right now (03/2022) I can enable story points on the card layout, and set them in the individual tickets.

What would still be missing, are the typical reports based on story points for Kanban projects.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events